Hello, Everyone!
This week brought lots of rain, which is unusual for this time of year, but sorely needed. The horn of Africa, of which Kenya is part, has been suffering through a severe drought and resulting famine, and thousands are starving and dying. First Love was able to purchase a large supply of maize and beans, due to the generosity of many people in the States, and we have been busy delivering this food in the last two weeks. May God use and multiply this blessing to the benefit of many! We had a time of prayer and blessing on the maize and beans before we delivered it, and the children prayed as well, that the food would bless many, and that God would help it to rain. Well, their prayers were answered in amazing ways! We have had rain just about every day this week, which is a miracle for this time of year. I was reminded that Jesus admonished us to become as little children, with simple, unwavering faith. What a great example that has been for me, and many others, as we have seen God answer the prayers of these lovely children!
One downside to the rain, however, is that it has messed up our internet connection, and I have not had internet this week. Boy, what a quick reminder to me that I am so tied to my western amenities and comforts, and I am not quite the selfless servant that I strive to be!
A few days ago, a child came home from school complaining that he did not feel well. He had a fine rash on his face, neck, trunk and arms, a low-grade fever, and a sore throat. I have not seen measles in a long time, and especially not on black skin, but was told by one of the caretakers that it looked like measles, since they had a case last Spring and it looked like that. I was able to take the child to the Dr. the next day, after quarantining him through the night. Fortunately, he did not have measles, but only a viral syndrome, and he improved throughout the day - especially with some good old motherly TLC and ginger ale! I am so grateful, however, for the rooms that we have converted into an infirmary - they would have been critically important to stemming the measles outbreak, had it materialized. I am also very grateful to God that it did not turn out to be measles, and that we were spared that challenge!
Last night was our Valentine's Day celebration. The children got dressed up, and we cooked a spaghetti meal, complete with homemade spaghetti sauce, and had pretty flowers and decorations on the tables. The children had made Valentine hearts earlier in the week and we put them up on the dining hall walls. Linda Clinton, the wife of Tom Clinton, the director of First Love, made cookies that she decorated with Valentine heart candies, and it was a wonderful ending to a special meal. Then the children sang and danced, and a wonderful time was had by all! It takes so little to make these children happy, and it was such a joy to see their faces light up when they entered the dining hall and saw the beautiful decorations and the special dinner they were about to enjoy! It was definitely worth the effort!
With the perpetual summer weather here, it is hard for me to remember that it is February, and that most of my friends and relatives are enduring a very hard winter! I am sending some nice warm Kenyan sunshine to you all as I write this - I hope you can feel it!
I also send you my love and gratitude for your friendship and prayers. Much love and many blessings to you -
Nancy
No comments:
Post a Comment