One of My Favorite Photos

One of My Favorite Photos

Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday, February 3rd - It's been a busy week!

Greetings from Nairobi!
I apologize that it's been a while since my last posting.  It's been a busy week!  Once the three girls with malaria recovered, the next challenge was scabies.  I have not seen scabies here very often, but one little girl, Ann, was unfortunate enough to get them either at school, or from a visit out of town recently.  I was told it was her twin sister Grace who had them, but it turned out to be Ann - poor little thing.  Ann was so sweet, and endured the two consecutive weekends of treatment without a complaint!  Miraculously, we have not had any other cases crop up so far, thank God!
The other situation that has kept me busy is that one of our staff members had a complete urinary obstruction from an enlarged prostate that necessitated a visit to the ER in one of the local hospitals.  We were able to get an ultrasound, lab tests, consult with a urologist and two visits with the ER physician in our 9-hour visit, and everything, including the medications, cost about 10,000 Kenyan shillings, which is approximately $117!
It was an interesting experience, to say the least.   The hospital has an amusing way of conducting business - the patient has to pay for every procedure before it is done.  So, when the nurse evaluates the patient in triage, a fee is paid, when the Dr. evaluates the patient, another fee is paid, when labs or diagnostic studies are ordered, another fee is paid, etc. - it's pay-as-you-go medical care!  While there are many disadvantages to the patient who cannot afford a particular procedure, and consequently cannot get the necessary care, it must be very efficient for the hospital!  The staff member chose to go back to America to undergo further testing and possible surgery, and he left for the States this past weekend.  He was uncomfortable wearing his jeans with the foley catheter and bag, so our women's sewing group made him a long gown like the Muslim men wear in this part of the country, and also fashioned a matching bag that he could tie around his waist and wear under his gown to carry the foley bag in the right position and also keep it concealed.  It was quite a learning experience for them, and a blessing to the staff member!
I have also been busy moving the clinic to another dorm space that has some rooms that are not being used presently.  This will enable us to have one room for the clinic, closer to where my apartment is, so it is more convenient for me, but it is also in the boy's dorm, so closer to the children, as well, and another room that will be the infirmary.  Having a room for the infirmary will enable me to keep a closer eye on sick patients, help them to rest without lots of noisy and curious children peeking in on them, and also help reduce the spread of whatever ailment the child has.  I spent the day with one little girl on Saturday who had a high fever and vomiting.  The poor little one could not even keep a sip of ginger ale down in the morning, but by the evening, was able to eat some scrambled eggs and was keeping liquids down, so she was able to return to her room that night to sleep.  We have had a few other children with assorted upper respiratory infections, and the usual bumps, scrapes, and bruises, but nothing else more serious so far.
My biggest challenge that I have been dealing with is learning how to set boundaries with the children regarding my own time.  Previous nurses have allowed the children to come into their apartments whenever they need something, whether it's a bandaid or something else more serious, at any time of the night and day. You can imagine, with 85 children and assorted staff, that this means a consistent stream of visitors just about 24/7.  While I am available 24/7 for any emergency, it gets a little old after the fourth or fifth child comes walking into my apartment unannounced, saying that he or she has a headache, or needs a bandaid, or decides late at night after playing all day, that he or she does not feel well and now needs attention!  I have struggled to find the right balance of knowing how to have the servant attitude that God wants me to have, but also be able to protect my own health and rest.  So, I have decided that I will have clinic hours for the children before and after school each day, and clinic hours for the staff and women in the Baraka center while the children are at school, and any other time for emergencies only.  We'll see how it works - their definition of am emergency and mine are, shall we say, two different things, and will be a matter of ongoing discussion, I'm sure!
I am enjoying finding out about the different churches in the area, and will also try to find a Bible study to be involved in so that I can safeguard my own spiritual health, as well as network with other Christians and learn more about the African culture.  What a great privilege to fellowship with other believers who may come from totally different backgrounds than I, but be able to experience the bond of love for Jesus that makes us family!  This was so obvious to me as we sang together yesterday, worshipping in different languages, yet joyfully focused on our Lord Jesus, the One whose love transcends culture and melts away any barrier!
I send you my love and continued gratitude for your prayers and support.  Thank you, too, for your comments and encouragement - they mean the world to me.  May God hold each one of you in His gentle grasp  - Nancy



2 comments:

  1. The infirmary sounds like a good idea! Glad you are setting limits for the children- not easy to do I'm sure, but that might help you get refreshment and rest when you can to be better able to serve better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just getting caught up on all of your blog posts. They're fascinating and such a blessing to read!
    You'll have to share some pictures of your clinic soon. I would love to see how you have it all set up. Also, I'm so glad that you felt comfortable enough to set some boundaries with the children. I'm sure it was and will continue to be difficult to safeguard your "down" time, but it is definitely a wise thing to do.
    Have you been able to find a church since you posted this?
    Much love to you! ~ Brandie

    ReplyDelete