Hello!
We have been without water here on the compound since Sunday afternoon - it has been a long four days! The main pump that controls our water supply collapsed, and it has taken several days to repair, since it involved getting new cables and all sorts of issues that are more difficult to remedy here in Africa! It has been a good lesson for me as I have had a very small taste of what many people here in Africa deal with on a daily basis in their struggle to find clean water. Our water was restored today, and a shower will feel wonderful tonight! But I am reminded that this is a luxury that I have taken for granted in my western affluence, and a problem that I was content to relegate to a part of the world that was way far away from my experience - until now. Sure, I knew about the struggles for clean water in Africa and other parts of the world, and applauded World Vision, and other organizations, for their efforts to supply clean water to those in need. But, there's nothing like actually going without running water, and having to find other ways to get clean water and ways to flush your toilet, etc., to help you realize just how blessed we are to have this luxury - and how much we take it for granted!
This past Sunday was Mother's Day here in Kenya. One of the older girls, Frida, who has been a resident here since the beginning of the ministry in 2006, told me that she wanted to give me a Mother's Day present after we returned from church. She came to my apartment later that afternoon, with her supplies to give me a pedicure - her gift to me! I have never had a pedicure, or manicure, for that matter - (just have never thought it was important enough to spend money on!) - so the offer of a pedicure was quite a surprise to me, and I was surprised to find that I felt a little uncomfortable having her wash my feet and paint my toenails! It reminded me of the servant example of Jesus washing the disciples' feet, and I was humbled and honored that Frida chose me to bestow this favor on. She told me that her own mother died when she was small, and she has trouble remembering what her mother looked like. She has a home and family here in the First Love ministry, but I am sure Mother's Day is a sad day for her, and that she misses her mother greatly. What a blessing that she chose me to connect with this Mother's Day - I hope I can share some motherly love with her as I find ways to spend time with her in the coming months. I will be starting a discussion group/Bible study with the older girls soon, and hope that Frida will join us. We will have some cooking and makeup lessons, and try to make the group a fun experience, combining it with discussing the important issues of growing up and what it means to live as God intends us to live for His glory - and our joy. I am looking forward to this time!
So now, every time I am surprised to look at my very red toenails, I am reminded that I am loved and cared for, and have an awesome privilege to love and care for all the children God brings into my life here. May God help me to be aware of and available for all the lovely God appointments that He
has for me each day!
With my love and gratitude for your prayers -
Nancy
How wonderful that you are going to be able to start a small group with the young ladies you are meeting. What an opportunity! It sounds like they are already in love with you, which I am not surprised by one bit. My heart overflows with joy for you, Nancy. God is using you in beautiful ways. It's a blessing to watch this all unfold. We're praying for you. Much love to you! ~ Brandie
ReplyDelete