Some of you must have been praying for me - I have found a great Bible study that was formulated in South Africa especially for the population I will be targeting in the Baraka women's group! It is called a "contextual" Bible study, and incorporates the African culture into the material, and also a plan of action to apply the study. It even has some lessons on dealing with being HIV positive. I could not have asked for a better study! Thank you for your prayers!
Right now, my roommate Jane is teaching a small group of children to play the guitar. They are having a music class in the living room, and it is so sweet. Jane is wonderful with the children, and they love music and learning the guitar. Before they came in, I was listening to Sam Robson in his Youtube performance of "How Great Thou Art". They recognized the song, and we all sang along. What an incredible moment!! It almost brought me to tears, which is something that happens quite frequently here amidst the children! I have to be careful not to let them see me cry, however, since they don't understand why I'm tearful, and they think something is wrong. I try to explain that it's just that my heart is touched by them - I think they just think I'm one strange old Muzungu! Oh well, they will get used to me, and learn to just ignore me!
All the malaria patients are back to good health, and we have graduated to the next malady - scabies. One little girl, Grace, contracted scabies from either her school mates, or relatives when she was home visiting recently. I am praying that, by some miracle, it doesn't spread throughout the girl's dorm, and that I don't get blessed with a case of scabies. Time will tell. There are worse things ...
I have heard alerts that it is unsafe to drive in downtown Nairobi because of some demonstrations that are going on that could turn violent at any moment. While I am glad that I don't have to drive downtown, my heart aches for the Kenyans who long for peace in their land.
Two other Muzungus and myself went grocery shopping at a mall close to our compound this afternoon. Because of the recent terrorist activity in the mall in Nairobi, our bags are checked before we enter the mall, and our car was inspected - I guess the guard thought we looked dangerous or something! There was a male and a female guard checking the bags at the entrance, and there was a line for the female guard, so I went to the male guard's side, and let him check my bag. I found out later from my Kenyan friend who accompanied us that I committed a faux pas - only the female guards are supposed to check a female's bag.
As far as I know, this is my first cultural blunder - I'm sure it will not be my last!
We have had beautiful, warm, sunny days with no rain since last Saturday. It's hard to believe that this is January, and most of my friends and relatives are enduring harsh winter weather. I am sending some warm sunshine your way!
I also send my love and deepest gratitude for your prayers, love, and friendship. Please leave me a comment and let me know if you're enjoying my blog. Thanks!
Nancy
I love hearing about your adventures, Nancy. And I'm so glad your prayers for a Bible study that will work for you have been answered! That was fast ;-) but you have many "prayer warriors" working with you, so I am not surprised. Keep the posts coming.... Sudie
ReplyDeleteMy dear friend, isn't God wonderful to provide just what you needed. Love to read about your life there. Will keep praying!!!
ReplyDeleteDebbie
Bible study sounds great!
ReplyDeleteThe Bible study sounds amazing! Have you started it yet?
ReplyDeleteLove the mental picture of the kids singing and learning the guitar. I can imagine that that was a sweet moment...one of many. =) Such a blessing to follow this blog and your heart. Much love you, friend. =) ~ Brandie