I arrived in Kenya Friday night, the 17th, and have been getting accustomed to the warm weather and different time zone since then. I have been very welcomed by my new family, and feel very loved already! There are so many new faces and names to learn, but my new friends are very gracious and patient with me, thankfully!
I have already had one patient to care for - a sweet girl named Hawa, who had a very high fever, severe headache, vomiting and diarrhea for three days. She recently went to visit some of her relatives in Mombasa, which has more incidence of malaria, and sure enough, that's what she has. We took her to a clinic last night, and the lab tests showed that she has a severe case of malaria, urinary tract infection, and worm infection - poor little thing! We were able to get her labs, medical treatment, and medications all in the same clinic - talk about one-stop shopping! And, it's open 24/7! I have a feeling this is just one of many times I will be blessed to visit this clinic! I feel very blessed that this clinic is close-by, and has a full range of services. God is so good.
This morning we worshiped at a church near our children's home, and I was impressed again with the unity we have through the Holy Spirit as we worship our Lord Jesus, irrespective of our language, customs, or geographical location. The church is frequented by many expats, however, and the service was very much like one I would experience in the States. I missed the fervor of my African brothers and sisters in the worship time! I will have the chance to explore other churches in the area, and will see if I can find one a little less westernized, and alternate between the two in the months to come.
This week I will familiarize myself with our clinic, and see about establishing an infirmary where I can care for the children when they are sick, and where they can recover from their illnesses without lots of energetic and curious children peeking in on them.
As I begin my ministry here, one thought has been reinforced through my devotional readings in the last few days - that the greatest competition to fellowship with Jesus is Christian service. We can get so busy doing things for God that we neglect our fellowship with and worship of Him. Please pray that I will keep my relationship with Jesus as my main focus - that what He calls me to do will be under His loving guidance, and that my motives would not be based on my own agenda, but on what He wants me to do and has purposed for me. Thank you!
I have heard that the weather in the Midwest and New England is getting very cold again, so I am sending you many warm blessings, love and prayers.
All my love - Nancy
Nancy following along with you and praying as you have requested. May God draw you close to Him and give you a craving for His word and His presence. <3 Marian
ReplyDeleteI can see how that could be a challenge- praying you will find the balance of service and spending time in His presence. Glad your new "family" has been welcoming- bet they are so happy to have you. Also glad you have the clinic nearby!
ReplyDelete