It's been a few weeks since my last post. Let me catch you up on some things, and share a wonderful blessing, too.
The kids have been sick with a respiratory virus that presents with a high fever, cough, and slightly stuffy nose, but only lasts for a day or two, thank goodness. But, they are pretty miserable for the first day when the fever is high, so I have had to pass out a lot of Tylenol and motherly comfort! They seem to be fine now, just in time for their two-week school vacation! They have this week off, then will do community service at their school next week. How many of our kids would be glad to do that on their vacations?!
The Baraka woman that I spoke of in earlier posts that we have taken to Kijabe Hospital for treatment of infertility is doing well. She had extensive bloodwork done, and it was found that one of her hormonal levels is abnormal, for which she is being given medication. The medication is working, which is very hopeful. Praise God for this good result! Please keep praying for her - it would be so wonderful for her to be able to have a healthy pregnancy and a baby of her own!
I was speaking with Ginger, the woman who leads the Baraka women's sewing ministry, about one of the women in the group named Faridah. Ginger told me that Faridah loves me because I "saved her daughter's life" a couple years ago when I was here. Well, I was dumbfounded, since I couldn't remember anyone who was critically ill that we ministered to during that trip. But, she told me that I helped her adult daughter who had a gynecological problem and needed an ultrasound, but had no money to get one. I remember giving some money to a woman who had severe abnormal vaginal bleeding, and needed medical help, but did not know how serious the situation was, and never heard the outcome of her testing and Dr. visit. I met the woman when we were doing a clinical day in the Kibera slums, and had no way to follow up with her before we left Kenya. So, this woman was Faridah's daughter, and it is a great blessing to hear that her daughter is fine, and whatever help I was able to give was timely and effective in relieving her problem. I have not spoken to Faridah about it, since things like this are very personal, and I don't want to intrude on her daughter's privacy. But I hope that we will have the opportunity to talk sometime, and I can learn more of the details - I am very curious to know what transpired!
I don't share this to pat myself on the back - I was just in the right place at the right time - but to praise God for His mercy and goodness! It isn't often that we get to learn the results of the help we give, especially when we do field work in locations that we may not visit again. We pray that God will bless whatever kindness or medical help we offer, but have to be content not knowing the outcomes of most of our efforts this side of heaven. But God gave me the gift of knowing this happy outcome, and I thank Him for His sovereign hand in Faridah's daughter's life, and for this blessing of knowing that I was able to help her get the help she needed. All glory goes to Him!
Thank you for your prayers for me, and the ministry to which God has called me. Please continue to pray for me, and for the people God brings along my path. As you can see in this small example, you may never know how God uses what you say and do, but sometimes, it ends up being something very significant! May we be ever mindful of our "God appointments", and always ready to be His hands and feet for those who need His love and healing!
Love and blessings to you -
Nancy
No comments:
Post a Comment